Saturday, June 8, 2013

Hello world, again.

New York City is beginning to feel like home. I know my way around, and I am familiarizing myself with the City's culture and people. Though I do miss parts of home (very dearly), I do love aspects of the big city that I do not get from home. One of these aspects being the opportunity to establish myself in a completely new environment, away from the familiarity and comfortability of family and friends. A place where I will face utter loneliness if I don't actively seek to involve myself with those around me. It's been a place where my identity is becoming more clear to me--because in a city like this, I can be anything I want to be--> this can be a post for another day.

Along this journey, I have made wonderful friends who seek to enjoy every moment. With that said, we have had many cool opportunities to see different parts of New York.

These are some of the highlights from the past two weeks, enjoy:

First stop: Coney Island.

After a long week of cold, dreary weather, it was nice to get out of Manhattan and find the sun in Brooklyn. It was a 45 minute train ride over to this beloved beach, but it was well worth the trip. It felt so nice to squish the sand between my toes and feel the warmth of the sun on my body. We were definitely not the only ones with this plan (as you can see in the pictures). I don't blame them; we need to enjoy the sun while it's here.





The amusement park.

We ventured a few rides to complete our journey here in Brooklyn. Though it was a little park, it definitely drew a crowd.





Next stop: dinner under Brooklyn Bridge.

We finished our Saturday night at Juliana's--aka the best pizza place in town. It was definitely worth the long wait to eat at this little restaurant on the corner, not to be confused with Grimaldi's. It's an interesting story how the two rivaling pizza places came to be. Needless to say, we met the man who claims to have started all the pizza chains in America. Lucky us. 

^^Brooklyn Bridge at night^^

The city is alive and well at night---> I'm just trying to keep up.

Food is delicious here in Manhattan. 
One such delicacy from your very own Serendipity 3:

Frozen hot chocolate

Though not everything is sunshine and wonderful pizza--there are still things that do not go as planned----> this hair for instance. 
*I don't know what it is, but I am bound to get a hair in every dish I order...bad luck, I guess.


There are definite perks for doing international relations in a city like New York City. I meet the neatest people and partake in the most enjoyable, educational outings. For instance, last week the office got a personal tour of the NYSE, New York Stock Exchange, or as Brother Jones calls it, the "financial pulse of the world." We were accompanied by Sharon Eubank, Director of LDS Charities (responsible for ALL humanitarian efforts for the Church--she's a big deal) and two of her guests. Not only was the company thoroughly enjoyable, but the tour was magnificent. It is a completely different world inside the NYSE walls. Millions of dollars are being traded every day, right beneath our very noses. It was the most amazing experience to go down on the floor and see first hand the work of traders. I am impressed with the way our country has evolved throughout history, always progressing towards a better and brighter future---> simply wonderful.

NYSE

The floor

Proof I was there:)

The Board Room

Our beloved tour guide-- he is as energetic as this picture depicts.

A priceless (literally) urn--it is worth at least a 100 million dollars.

Me pretending I know what I am doing--this is not new.

Last Friday night, the department of students who are here interning got together to go to the visit the world-renound Apollo Theater to see Amateur Night, a basic talent show with a $10,000 cash prize. Each week three contestants are voted through the preliminaries to perform in Apollo's final show in November where the winner of the cash prize is determined. It is a thrilling environment full of hostility, graciousness, irreverence, support and lots and lots of "amens." If an audience does not like a participant, they can be "booed" off in the middle of their piece followed by an embarrassing act where a dancing black man kicks them off the stage. It was a riot. 

Apollo Theater

Peter and the Starcatcher.

Little did I know, this off-broadway show would be one of my favorite plays I have seen while living here. This creative spoof of how Peter Pan became Peter is hysterical, creative, crazy, candid, and downright amazing. People's abilities to act and perform amaze me. It had me laughing, cringing, smiling, gasping, and loving every minute. 

     Mia and I waiting for rush tickets for Peter and the Starcatcher. We were proud owners of the first and second spots in line. Lucky us. 

It has literally been wet the past three days straight. Much of this is the after effects of the tropical storm Andrea hitting the East Coast. I have never seen such as storm. This makes exploring a little more difficult, not impossible, but a little tricky. Needless to say, museums were the hot spots. I went to both the MOMA and the Metropolitan Museum over the past few days in attempt to avoid the wetness. I love museums dearly. Sadly, I do not have many pictures, in part because I enjoyed them too much to capture, but secondly, how can you capture the essence of beautiful artwork? It's impossible. 

This umbrella broke after five minutes. FIVE MINUTES!?! I must admit, I have the reputation among other students of having bad luck with umbrellas. I have already gone through three, and I refuse to buy any more before my departure (two weeks). The storm (particularly the one on Friday) left the gutters flooded with umbrellas cast aside all over the streets. Running for cover in this storm was quite an adventure. I'm just glad my poor, cheap umbrella was the only thing to suffer from the rage of the storm.  

note to self: the price=the quality of the umbrella--> you pay cheap, you get cheap. 


Riding bikes through Central Park and along the Hudson River.

This is one activity I have been dying to do since my arrival a few months ago. What better way to see the city than on a bike? New York is hard to get around in a car/taxi and it is exhausting to walk everywhere--after today, I have rediscovered my love for bicycles. 

I am in love with Central Park. I simply cannot get enough of it. With the sun out, people are finally able to enjoy the sun and be outside. There are families playing, musicians striving to make a living, people exercising, couples falling in love, dogs roaming everywhere--it is a beautiful site to be in Central Park on a warm Saturday. 

After coasting around Central Park, we (my professor, his son, Kurt, Chelsey and I) ventured the Riverside Drive to bike near the Hudson River. Best idea. There was a slight breeze from the ocean carrying the scent of salt and fish--I love this smell. With a slight overcast and the breeze of the ocean in my hair, I felt free and alive. I felt that all my worries and insecurities washed away temporarily and I internalized the fact that I am living in New York, doing something that I love. At times, the fast-paced lifestyle required of New Yorkers weighs on me. I understand why so many people turn to the park or this Riverside Drive after work--these are the places to get away from the world and become consumed in things/thoughts that matter. In essence, these sacred places I have discovered recharge my batteries to last me the rest of the day/week (maybe that's why they call it Battery Park). 

The crew in all their glory.

My trustee bicycle.

The Hudson River



^^Beautiful bike paths^^



No comments:

Post a Comment