Sunday, April 13, 2014

sisters

I love my sisters. I love them a lot! 



Sisterhood is such a powerful thing. I don't think I live more in the present moment than I do with my sisters -- which is why it's so refreshing to be reunited with them after a long absence.

Marion C. Garretty says it best:

"A sister is a little bit of childhood that can never be lost."


Marion couldn't be more right. Once we are together, it's like we turn into little girls again. We laugh (HARD & LOUD) at the SILLIEST things. We dance a little crazier. Sing a little louder. And we stay up late talking the night away, giving no thought for the morrow or anything else for that matter.

I know many are quick to apologize to my family (particularly my father) for not having any sons. I have always wanted a younger brother, but I would not trade my sisters for the world.

As Sara Corpening said, How do people make it through life without a sister?

I do not know. And I do not wish to ever find out.

My sisters and I are blessed to have a close bond. We rarely fight, with the exception of sharing clothes (and that one time for not sharing the leash while walking the neighbor's dog:)) when we were younger. However, for the most part, we were each other's BFs.

I can still recall one time when we were all sitting around the dinner table laughing about who knows what. My parents eventually got upset with the irreverent behavior taking place at the dinner table and made the statement, "Whoever laughs next will be sent to their room." We all looked down at our plates, staring hard at our broccoli to avoid eye contact and worse, laughing first. After what seemed like an eternity (though couldn't be longer than a few seconds), Rachel was the first to break. She was immediately sent to her room. We felt bad and eventually snuck food down to her room after dinner was through, but that memory still remains vivid in my mind because: Who gets sent to their room for laughing? 

However, the biggest of the Jackson (+Garrett) girls' downfall is indecision. Like, seriously! We are definitely building a reputation of being horribly indecisive. For example, decisions that need to be made (>>>like where to eat, what to do tonight, which movie to pick) are painstakingly difficult to make, because we can't seem to stay on topic for more than two minutes before someone takes us on a detour, then onto anther detour, to only get back to the original question an hour later. I feel bad because we definitely frustrate others at times.

However, the reason I love my sisters the most is because of their kind, nurturing, supportive nature. No one will experience a difficult time without a phone call or a "distracting outing" from these girls. I just love them.

This blog post was sparked by a rather interesting experience that happened last Saturday emphasizing this amazing support system I have. I was on a triple date with the usual crowd, Rach+Cars, Han+Chase, and Nick and I. Because (A) Adobe is a cool building and (B) Nick is quitting his consulting job at Adobe soon, we decided to do a grand tour of this magical building at the point of the mountain.

One of the beautiful, amazing rooms in the Adobe building is a gaming room equipped with only the finest of appliances. We were playing teams in Modern Warfare, where we were set to shoot the other team as much as possible in the time allotted. Some, like Chase, were very skilled in the whole virtual shooting idea. I, on the other hand, was not.

We played for about 45-60 minutes. In that time, I discovered not only how terrible I am at video games, but also how weak my stomach is regarding gaming. For some reason, both Rach and I started feeling more and more nauseous with each passing game. I think it was motion sickness from my inability to control my screen view. (Like I said, I am terrible. I averaged about 2-3 kills a game, compared to the 33 that Chase was averaging.)

By the last game, I had to hide in the corner of the abandoned city we were playing in for the last two minutes because my stomach couldn't handle the thrill. Once we called it quits, both Rach and I made a quick exit out of the game room. I was instinctually holding my nose because I knew my stomach was anything but settled, while everyone was calling me dramatic. Once I started walking around, the feeling of purging my morning omelet got stronger and stronger, until it had me running for the doors.

I thought hold on for one more second. One more second. Don't make someone clean your mess off the floor. Right when I got out of the front doors, I immediately began throwing up all the free juice we drank earlier during the tour. Rach, not more than two steps behind me (checking up on me), caught wind of my upchuck and immediately started dry heaving herself, until we were both squatted, outside of the Adobe building, throwing up. The security guard was a little nervous as to why we evacuated the building to toss our cookies -- but no time to explain.

I couldn't help but laugh as I looked over at Rach throwing up her morning breakfast. Not only are video games not for the weak of stomach, but I couldn't help but appreciate her even more. They always say when one twin feels pain, so does the other. I guess, in this situation, that rings true.
**Hannah definitely proved to be the strongest Jackson on the virtual battlefield!! We will have to do another round now that our stomachs are settled:)

Although vomiting is anything but glamorous, I am grateful for yet another experience showcasing why my sisters are the BEST.

I love my sisters. I love them a lot.

















4 comments:

  1. If people didn't know that you and Rach were twins, they need only look at that first picture. I love that you guys have the exact same expression when you're laughing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post Chels!! :) Sisters are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know it's a little creepy Katie!! Thanks, Ash! I'm so excited to see you at your baby shower!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahah that is a fantastic story. I'm with you on the video game thing! (but I must admit that I probably wouldn't have thrown up. That is just disgustingly precious:) )

    ReplyDelete