Wednesday, January 20, 2010


Haiti. This word has been the center focus of this past week. It is difficult for me to keep up with the world news while attending BYU. Most of the time this is a blessing; however, this past week it has completely shocked me. As I went home this weekend for the holiday my mind was utterly shattered. The newspaper, television, common conversation, everything was centered around the horrible incident that recently occured in Haiti. Reading the 50,000 reported deaths is a different experience than visualizing specific, individual deaths of little children. My body became numb as my mind became paralyzed. How could I help in such an overwelming task? What role could I play? I continued to ask myself this question this past week...the answer continued to come up as a blank.
I then realized, this is what my english class is focusing on. Whether gorilla warfare or natural disasters, humanity is effected. I chose these photographs of Rawanda because of the parallel symmetry they portray to this current situation we are experiencing in Haiti. These individuals are located in Goma, Zaire. This picture captures the Rwandan refugee camp known as Kibumba. After the death of the Rwandan President Habyarimana, April 6, 1994, the Hutu (ethinic majority) led an uprising against the Tutsi (minority). It was estimated that between 500,000-1 million individuals died in this massacre, lasting 14 weeks. This Rwandan camp housed over 250,000 people. Waiting was all that one could do. Just as the Haitian people only desire the necessities of life; food, water, shelter, and medical assistance-so did the Rwandan people. It is such a sad time in life, but it is one that offers many opportunities to serve and assist those in need.
The question still comes down to what can we do?

I suggest these two websites for more information about how to get involved: http://www.lds.org/humanitarianservices/0,19749,6208,00.html


Works Cited:

Mountain Gorilla Protection: A Geomatics Approach, "Gorilla's in the Database." The Dian Fossey Gorilla Fund International, 1992. Web. 20 Jan. 2010.
http://www.informatics.org/gorilla/digmaps.html


Morello, Debbie. "U.S. News & World Report 70th Anniversary Photography Special." USN&WR, 20 Jan. 2010. Web.
http://www.usnews.com/usnews/photography/70thanniversary/90s/bestof/best7.htm

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Chelsea... I think the best thing you can do right now is just what you are doing - be AWARE. Many Americans do not recognize that there is a big world out there and are satisfied living in their own little bubble - ignoring the problems of the world. Right now, you are a student and you get to learn about the world. Hopefully you will be able to travel throughout your life to continue to learn and have an opinion about what you see and experience. Someday you will be in a position to do more. Your mom helps people in need on a local level. I have been able to donate a little money to help with Haitian efforts. Kevin's uncle (who has grown kids and money) was able to hop on a plane and spend two weeks coordinating emergency surgeries in Haiti. We all just do what we can wherever we are right now.... Your ability to help others will change as your life changes. SO - for now, my advice is to continue learning about the world and feed that desire to help others. I already know you have a heart of gold and a personality that drives people to you. So you will do great things in your life if you channel your desire to help where and how you can. I like reading your blog. Keep up the good work! -Angie

    ReplyDelete