Wednesday, January 13, 2010


In my current english class I have been given the opportunity to research and enjoy the photographs of humanity around the world. Sebastiao Salgado, originally an economist, began to travel to Africa where his passion for photography emerged. It is his passion for capturing humanity at every angle that begins our adventure as students. I have the privilege to become well acquainted with photographs like this one displaying men, women, and children from all over the world. These photographs are not "sugar-coated" but rather define reality at its greatest. It's ironic that in Portuguese Salgado means "salty" (Salgado, 17 Times, #9). It is necessary to reveal what is happening around the world. This is the purpose of my blog. I would love to share the research and photographs that mean so much to me with all of you. I really hope that these photographs find a place in your heart as they have found a place in mind. It is comforting to know that we as viewers can make a difference and promote Salgado's purpose, to create awareness.
Works Cited:
Galeano Eduardo. "Salgado, 17 Times." An Uncertain Grace: Photographs By Sebastiao Salgado. New York: Aperture, 1990.
"Sebastiao Salgado." Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation, Inc, 2009. Web. 23 Dec. 2009.

3 comments:

  1. Very cool. I am jealous of your project. Can I move down there and go to Freshman English with you??? I think you are amazing. I think loving other people who are different than you and I is one of the secrets of feeling joy in our souls...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chels! You are such a pure soul, I am excited to stay updated with your blog! You're the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my little twin, how creative you are! I love, love, love this picture! I remember watching this little man beaming with joy as he walked around with this precious child in the store! Keep your love for people! Life is full of wonderful surprises!

    ReplyDelete