Thursday, February 25, 2010

Mexico City, Mexico

I remember being young without a care in the world. My sisters and I would look like little "orphans," as my mom would say. We would dress ourselves and do things that are most appealing to the mind of a 6 year old. Being outside was the epitome of enjoyment. Whether making fresh mud pies in the dirt field across the street or playing cops and robbers around the yard; entertainment and joy as a child never seemed to be difficult to find. However, when I look at this little boy all I can see is an expression of exhaustion. He comes into a life where he must learn independence and survival skills at a very young age. In this picture, the effects of a violent wind storm have destroyed the electrical lines. Often houses such as these were hooked up to the electrical lines illegally in order to avoid an electricity bill. Every day seems to bring a new adventure and often trial to overcome.

Works Cited:

Information and picture from Sebastiao Salgado's book, "Migrations: Humanity in Transition."

2 comments:

  1. This photograph is just so sad! I too remember those carefree days of my childhood; it pains me to see how this little boy has completely skipped over that stage. Where is this again? I remember seeing it in "Migrations" but I can't remember where. Usually I would not feel any pity for those who tap into power lines illegally but this photograph really makes me feel for the poverty stricken who do that. That little boy shows it all. He really does look exhausted; he looks like a little old man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is in Mexico! An old man is a good description-stress is apparent on this little young face.

    ReplyDelete