Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Tanzania 1994


Tanzania is the largest East African Country (945,000sq km). A majority of Tanzania consists of savannah grassland and desert. She is neighbored by: Kenya, Rwanda, Uganda, Zambia, Malawi, Burundi, and Mozambique. You may ask what this has to do with anything? Well it has significant value to the reoccuring problem that Tanzania has been struggling with for years; refugees. Since the 1950's, Tanzania has continued to be a home to many seeking for saftey and peace. Over 800,000 refugees fled to Tanzania during the 1990s in two groups. The first was to Kagera around 1994, and the second flood of refugees came to Kigoma in 1996 (Wildlifeextra.com).

This photograph was taken by Sabastiao Salgado in 1994. A majority of the refugees in 1994 were Rwandese trying to avoid the mass genocide taking over their land. Currently, while reading "Life to Tell" by Immaculee Ilibagiza, a survivor of Rwanda, I have been more aware of the horrors that have occured during the Rwandan Holocaust. The continual battle between the two leading tribes; Hutu and Tutsi, left many dead, hurt, and alone. Many times these refugees would leave with the bare minimums; however, some were lucky enough (like this young man above) to bring tools and equipment to help them survive (Salgado). I can't even fathom what it would be like to drop everything in my life and leave to a foreign country with no idea as to what the next day would have in store. However, many have ventured the journey and will continue to do so. The more I am learning about the lives of those suffering in distant lands; the more I am coming to the realization of my life's oblivion and deprivation.


Works Cited:


3 comments:

  1. You have an excellent post! I love how you tied this in perfectly to “Left to Tell.” That book has really opened my eyes to seeing all the challenges in the world around us. Everything that these migrants have to endure truly is unimaginable to us, as we have been so blessed here in America. In this photo, it seems like they are all together, all caring for one another. That makes it beautiful. Similarly, the characters in “Left to Tell” are united and constantly looking out for one another. Like you, I cannot imagine leaving to a foreign land with no knowledge of what tomorrow will hold. “Left to Tell” is so intriguing and interesting because Ilibagiza enables us to feel the anxiety and fear that she was feeling. I am so grateful to that I can enjoy life and usually know what is coming next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you explain: "The more I am learning about the lives of those suffering in distant lands; the more I am coming to the realization of my life's oblivion and deprivation."

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have all seen how a young child interacts with those around them. The center focus is them. Ask how many brothers and sisters they have, they will answer. However, ask them how many siblings their brothers/sisters have-and they will stare in confusion. I feel as though my life has continued to be opened from that point on in my life. The more I learn the hardaches and sorrows that are happening in other individual's lives-the more I become aware of how blessed I am. It is similar to the idea; the more I learn the less I know. I am becoming more familiar with other problems in the world, things I didn't know existed. I am enjoying the process of becoming less oblivious and branching my knowledge of countries and people across the world.

    ReplyDelete