Sunday, April 3, 2011

Princess Bosma

Humanitarian
Humanitarian work is flourishing over here in the Holy Land. Before my arrival they assigned each student a calling. You could imagine my joy when I saw my name next to the humanitarian committee. I love it. Combined with singing in the Old City, Preschool visits, hygiene kits, and painting a wall sized mural equivocates to time and lots of service. I am sure the students are sick of me announcing service activities, however, it has definitely been a highlight of this trip.


Most recently my life has been consumed with painting a mural on the walls of Princess Bosma, a school/rehabilitation center for children. It has been so much fun. Although there were many volunteers who contributed to this wall it basically boiled down to a solid six or seven. Great bunch I would say. Very artistic and eager to participate. I loved working with them and Sister Judd. We went over about once, maybe twice a week for the past month or so to design, sketch, paint, repaint, and details. It was quite the process but oh so worth it.

Here are a few of the pictures that display the hard work and time of many students and faculty.


The design.

Before.

Two of the most darling girls and artists behind this wall.
Throughout the project, Greg (see below) set up his camera to capture all of the work in progressive steps. He placed his tripod on the same black spot on the floor every painting visit. Every so often someone would stop painting and take a quick candid snapshot of the progress. The transformation is immaculate.

This is Greg. Lovely Greg. He is one of the two masterminds who came up with the design. He reminds me so much of you grandpa it is not even funny (I even told him and he was flattered). He is articulate, detailed, and possesses the kindest heart known to man. Haha you can tell I am fond of this boy.
MaRtIn.
He is the other mastermind. Artist to the max. He is suave and very good at what he does. A "silent but deadly" approach. Leave it to Martin to get things done.

Work in progress.

You can tell things got a little crazy at times. One time after we painted we all decided to paint on a stache to become a little more like you know who, Greg. Anything from hitler to a nice set of handle bars. Service is always an adventure.
Lani
Greg
Meg
Me
Kate
I LOVE ART!

Get down and messy with it.
The wall is now finished and I do not have a picture of it yet but I will leave this blog post in anticipation...



No comments:

Post a Comment