Friday, April 1, 2011

Spiritual Journey


Galilee.
WE WERE JUST IN GALILEE. What!?! I am blessed. I am blessed. I am blessed. I don't know how else to say it. We seriously just went on a tour of a lifetime. This is what I hoped to experience before hopping on the plane a few months ago. Walking on water, casting out devils, healing the blind and sick, we ventured it all. The entire 10 days we were there we focused solely on Christ. All of the different sites and classroom lessons (yes we did have class a few feet away from the Sea of Galilee) all centered around Christ's ministry. I loved every second of it. I am growing closer to Christ. My knowledge of his life and ministry are expanding into the horizon. The bible is truly coming alive in my eyes. The simple stories I have learned my whole life are real. I know this may sound silly but it still blows every part of my soul to hear, "this is the place where Christ healed Jairus' daughter, walked on water, fed the 5,000." It never gets old.
One of my favorite parts of the week was actually a hw assignment suprisingly enough. We are assigned to do reflection papers a few times throughout the semester. This one happened to be assigned during Galilee. Overlooking this beautiful lake I was to choose one of Christ's miracles, explain it in context, and then relate it to my life. I chose the story of Christ casting out the legion of devils from the suffering man into a herd of swine. I focused primarily on the man before his encounter with Christ. It says in Jesus the Christ, "so complete was his possession by wicked spirits that he could no longer distinguish between his individual personality and theirs." This man was seen as absolutely hopeless and beyond any sense of acceptance. He dwelt in tombs away from mankind for no "man could bind him. (Matthew 5)" Reading this broke my heart for I could not help but relate this to our lives. How sometimes we may feel hopeless and of little worth. How we tend to define ourselves by our trials and weaknessed rather than the gifts and strengths we have been given. If I have learned anything here it is that the power of change and the Atonement are real. Christ has the power to heal if we allow him. There is no such thing as hopeless. I am so grateful for this realization and sense of comfort. No matter how hopeless we may seem in the eyes of others or how closely we define our worth by our faults, Christ is able to heal all. I am learning more and more from the scriptures. The people who experienced these miracles and healings were just like us-imperfect and dependent upon Christ's love. Just as their lives were touched and healed by Christ, so can ours.
 It is simply beautiful. I am sorry to go off on tangents but I just love learning. I am living the dream to say the least. If only I could portray a small ounce of what I am feeling but sadly my writing ability and this simple blog post wont do justice. Therefore I have gathered a random selection of photos to give a little sneak peek of last week.


In Nazareth we visited the church of Mary's Annunciation. This was one of my favorite places we visited. Honestly we focus on so many aspects of Christ's birth but how often do picture it from Mary's perspective. My love and respect for Mary has increased dramatically. She was a young girl striving to do her best. This divine calling, to be the mother of the Savior,was a difficult task to accept knowing her social life, family relationships, and life would be in danger. Nevertheless "be it unto me according to thy word." Her faith and trust in Heavenly Father never faltered.

 
 A little taste of home. Haha no one understood my excitement when I saw this little guy chillin on the side of the street. Who knew our lime green car would be rested on the side of a street in Nazareth. Love it!

 One night while in Galilee we went to a restaurant to eat Peter's fish just as the Savior would have done.

 We took a boat ride on the Sea of Galilee. We stopped in the middle of the lake and read scriptures while Brother Muhlestein gave us a lesson. Beautiful to say the least. I just looked out to the water and knew somewhere in my vision of sight Christ walked upon the water and calmed the raging storm.

 Capernaum. Highlight of this entire semester. I was in absolute awe as we wandered around what may be considered Peter's home, Christ's main place of dwelling, and the location of one of the most monumental and incredible days ever. All in one day Jesus Christ healed a man sick of the palsy, called Matthew as an Apostle, ate a meal with sinners and publicans (while teaching the Pharisees a valuable lesson), healed Jairus's daughter (right behind me in this picture), on the way over to Jairus' daughter he healed a woman with an issue of blood, then healed two blind men and casted out a devil from a suffering man. He was lastly overwelmed with compasison, with the desire to continue the efforts to gather the "scattered sheep," as he taught multitudes of people within nearby cities and villages (Matthew 9). In this picture you can see my handy dandy journal. While in Galilee I began to carry it around because everything we were learning was so amazing that I needed it in hand at all times in order to write everything down.

 Who would have known just outside Capernaum's gate was the man from Up. He was peacefully resting from the heat, I couldn't resist. I had my friend Cam stand in front of him to pose as though I were going to take a sanpshot of him....no no no this man seemed to figure me out quickly-hence his devious little smirk.

 Hiking. Mom I wish you could have been there so badly. We randomly went on a hike during our free time to El Al. Seriously breathtaking. We hiked for about an hour to reach the waterfall. This is my darling friend Jess and I standing on top of the waterfall.

The waterfall.
The water was absolutely FREEZING. Everyone was screaming. Not just any scream but the Mariah Carey, dog whistle scream as they entered the water. However, after a few minutes our bodies became so numb it actually began to feel good.

 Abby, Lani, Kristin, Britt, and I overlooking one of the most beautiful parts of the hike. I have never been to Ireland before but I can only imagine it being something like this place.

Beautiful eh?

 Ok one thing I love about this program is the faculty. Both my New and Old Testament teachers are living in the center with their families. Therefore, we get to know their children pretty well. Talk about darling-all of these kids here are ADORABLE. One in particular is Sabrina. She can melt your heart in a second. I love when the kids come on field trips with us because they really add energy and excitement to the already crazy bunch.

 
 This picture is dedicated to my wonderful roommate Elise. I know how much you love nuns. Although I saw her from a far off distance nothing could stop me from taking this picture for you girl. 

This is Tashara and I going to church in Tiberias, overlooking the Sea of Galilee. She is one of Brother Muhlestein's daughters and also one of the beautiful young women I teach. I am so lucky to have the opportunity to get so close with these girls.

 Some of the studs in our group. Here are a few of the boys I have become so fond of from the program.

Sky and I standing in the Jordan River. It was lovely. There were so many people, gathered from all over the world, dressed in a white jumpsuit getting baptized. I saw techniques from the traditional baptismal dip to dunking face first. It is really fascinating to see how people worship and express their faith.

Here is one example of a baptism occuring at the Jordan River.

Jess and I on top of Mt. Tabor.

 Donny and I on top of Mt. Tabor. He is a stud to say the least. We have a similar sense of humor. Therefore it is never difficult to get a good laugh when I am around him.

 Field Trips. We play hard, study hard, and go hard all day so by the time night approaches at the end of the day, going to bed is very appealing. This is a typical image as a field trip nears the end. We just get a little weary at times. However, it is all fun and games. For example, right after this moment my teacher offered students extra credit for anyone who can beat him fencing with his son's plastic swords. Bliss anyone?

 Tel Dan. This is the location known for calf worship under Jereboam's reign. We all lined up flexing our calves. TIt was a funny story but when we all flexed they were surprised by my calf (sprinting does legs good I guess) and so they nicknamed mine the "golden" calf. I don't know how I feel about labeling my body part as an object of idol worship but it definitely caused a good laugh and an embarassed girl.

Jacksons, Jacksons, and more Jacksons. The Jacksons are overtaking the JC. Both of these couples are responsible for the students health and saftey while here in Israel.  


And last but not least, this is for you Daniel Wade. I have been practicing at a few different sites but failed...miserably. This is the best I got and just for you.

1 comment:

  1. YEAAAH CHELSS!!! I love the nun picture! And I miss you!! Come home already!! :)

    ReplyDelete