Monday, January 10, 2011

Jerusalem: Take Two!

There are so many pictures and stories to tell, however there is simply not enough time to do so. Here are a few highlights of the past week. I love being here. There are so many things to learn. I am currently excited to begin my journey of discovering the Old City and the Old Testament.

Ramparts Walk. We got a breathtaking view of the Old City by traveling along the outer walls encompassing the city.  

I love Cemeteries! There are numerous cemetaries covering the Mount of Olives and East Jerusalem. I am in Heaven.
We are on the walls of the city in front of Mount Olives.

The Dome of the Rock.

Wailing Wall. I loved getting a closer view of the ways both the Jews and Muslims worship. This wall is a sacred site for Judaism for it is the remains of the Jewish Temple. People from all over the world come to pray to this wall for purposes of speaking directly to God. There were many women reading the Bible, writing and saying prayers next to this wall. To see such sacrifice and physical devotion to God is refreshing. 
The Augusta Victoria Tower is one of three prominant towers overlooking Jerusalem. It was absolutely freezing to be on top but the view was well worth the countless flights of stairs.

Elias Monastery. This building overlooks Gibeon. This is perhaps one of my favorite sites we have visited thus far. The view is spectacular and is the place of our ancestry. 

I am standing in front of Gibeon and Benjamin Plateau. We sang a hymn and read the history of this beautiful land. The scriptures truly come to life when we can see the actual location of what we are reading. It is unbelievable.

This is our beautiful Jerusalem Center. It sits on Mount Scopus overlooking the Old City.
This is Zedekiah's Cave. We happened to run into it. This cave is the largest cave in Jerusalem. This cave goes all the way under the Old City! Ya girl!

5 comments:

  1. Chels. This is incredible. It seems like you are having such an amazing experience. (Ok, those words seem like the biggest understatement of a life time...) I am so happy for you!!!! P.S. I sent you an email... But I don't know if you are still using your noodle email address... so if you don't get it will you let me know? I LOVE YOU!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. CHELSEA!!!YOU LOOK LIKE YOU'RE HAVING SO MUCH FUN!! i love and miss you. but you are defiantly rockin the baggy clothes, shirts to your collarbone look:) love you

    ReplyDelete
  3. CHELSEA!!!!IT LOOKS LIKE YOU ARE HAVING SO MUCH FUN!! I miss you, but you are defiantly ROCKIN the baggy clothes, shirts to your collarbone look:) you're amazing. love ya

    ReplyDelete
  4. CHELS THAT LOOKS AWESOME AND JOYOUS!!! I am so happy you are having such a wonderful time and that you have such a great appreciation for good views! I also am happy to see you bonding with sar! I miss you!

    ReplyDelete