Saturday, January 8, 2011

Jerusalem!

    Four planes, mature Austrian babies, lots of girl bonding, no sleep, and lost luggage brings me to one of the most beautiful places on Earth. I am so excited, words cannot express my happiness. I love the people. I love the center. I love the faculty. I love it all.
I will try to post pictures as often as I can but it may be difficult because of the internet here at the center.
   Jet lag is the current obstacle to overcome. Heavy eyelids are a very common site around the center. Luckily the excitement and spontaneous adventures keeps us all on our toes. The teachers radiate charity and love. Thanks to their efforts we are all slowly becoming a family. There are a total of 82 students here from all over the country. It is simply the common bond of being in the Holy Land that brings us together. I have never met so many outgoing and energetic people at one time. It is a blast!
    Though we have only been here for a few days, it feels like I have been here forever. Some of the highlights these past few days include the introduction of the Call to Prayer, viewing East Jerusalem from the auditorium windows, lesson of the Abrahamic Covenant, touring through both the East and West parts of Israel, and visiting the Western Wall.
    This culture is so interesting. I have never seen anything like this. We have been drilled to respect the current clashing relationship between the Palestinians and the Jews. It is a very sensitive topic and one that must be handled lightly. It is not our place to judge or pick sides while we are here. We are here to learn and develop a stronger testimony of Christ and His ministry within Israel.
    The people here are extremely nice. It may have to do with them wanting our money but no matter their intentions, they are friendly. We are trained not to smile, proselyte, look men in the eyes, or carry on friendly conversations. The merchants in East Jerusalem practically sing, “Mormons, Mormons “every time we pass by. They know who we are and seem to enjoy our stay in their homeland.
    The BYU Jerusalem Center is beautiful. The architecture, landscape, location, everything is just perfect! In my opinion, the auditorium is the best room of the entire center. Ironically enough this room is the place we perform the most important Sabbath activity, the sacrament. There are rows and rows of seats that face a wood stage and podium. A beautiful organ is located directly behind the seats. When the organ is played, nothing can stop the Spirit from entering this room. Although everything about this room is majestic, the windows are the most beautiful and breathtaking aspect of this room. There is a wall of windows overlooking the Old City directly behind the podium. It is the most beautiful site I have ever seen. I know this vision will only get more beautiful and sentimental as we continue to study about Jesus’ life and the history of Jerusalem. One of the most spiritual moments on my trip thus far occurred the first night of our arrival in this very room. All the students were gathered together for the first time in this auditorium to sing hymns and do a little housekeeping business. The students, strangers only 24 hours prior to this moment, began to sing and one of the professors slowly opened the curtains (hiding the windows) to expose this beautiful site. Pictures cannot do justice. I don’t know if there is a faster way to feel the Spirit than by singing church hymns and overlooking Jerusalem. I am blessed. In this moment I truly recognized the significance of this experience and how blessed I am to be here.
     One of the most unique and surprising cultural aspect of Eastern Jerusalem is the Call to Prayer. This prayer is broadcasted for Muslims five times a day over loud speakers. The first night of my arrival I forgot that such a prayer was delivered at five in the morning. I woke up in a panic thinking a man was serenading our window. In utter fear, I hopped out of my bed and went to my roommate’s bed in order to calm down and comprehend what was going on. Honestly, it is a beautiful prayer. The man offering it has a wonderful voice but oh how it catches me off guard. Even after several days I still get startled to hear a man’s voice echoing throughout the walls in my bedroom but who knows maybe one day it may become relaxing and even therapeutic. Let us hope anyway. I admire these wonderful Muslim and Jewish people for their faithful religious dedication. They are humble and willing to sacrifice for their beliefs. I am excited to learn more from them.
     I still don’t know very much about the land I am in. I am trying to soak up as much as my little brain possibly can. My curiosity is increasing each day. The academics here will not be easy, in fact it will be rather difficult, but that is how we learn eh? I am so excited to learn and become more educated about my ancestors and the land of our Savior. I will try to update at least once a week if not more. Thank you for you support and love. I love you family!

3 comments:

  1. I'd like to see you trying not to smile at people haha. But guess what, Spencer is a new teacher at my mission prep class. Small world huh. Don't be afraid to check out "The Corner" every now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chels! I am sooo glad you are doing this blog so I can hear all about your amazing adventures. I love you so much girl and miss you. Please be safe and careful! Keep posting please. Oh and p.s. I was right about who would get married first :) LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chay and Chase! Love you both! Haha I know Chay! I got an email from both my mom and Britt. I am so happy for her. I am so sad I cannot be there while she is preparing for the big day but you will have to keep me updated! I hope school is going well for you-I am sure it is! I miss you too-Live it up in Provo for me! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete