Saturday, February 5, 2011

The Garden Tomb

Today after church a group of students and I went to the Garden Tomb to sing and just ponder…which surprisingly is something I haven’t done too much of since I have been here. The days are packed and the moments of freedom must be spent in the city. I love it this way but it does feel good to be quiet and still to allow these wonderful experiences to actually soak in. We sang a bit and then I just wanted to wander around alone and watch the many groups of people entering the tomb. People of all faiths and ethnicities populated this little area. Many were singing hymns of praise, reading the Bible, and taking pictures. I put in my iPod and pulled out Jesus the Christ by James E. Talmage. I read more about the circumstances surrounding the burial of Christ and events leading up to the tomb. Eventually the loud chanting and random conversations in different languages took a hold of my attention, so I simply sat and watched. I watched people from all walks of life gather in this remote area for the purposes of feeling Christ in their lives. I listened to the tour guides talk about the history and lots of Asian couples conversing with one another. I honestly felt a pure love for all of these strangers around me. We are all in the same boat, trying to become closer to Christ. We all want to feel Christ’s love and mercy in our lives and we all are dependent upon his atoning sacrifice. Watching everyone interact with each other and curiously converse with other faiths was so intriguing to me. Heavenly Father loves all of us. He wants all of us to really find Christ and follow him. Today I got a glimpse of the love Heavenly Father has for each of His children. I loved this environment. There was a slight overcast and light sprinkle leaving the air moist and crisp. The Asian woman sitting next to me was smiling and very welcoming. She was really fascinated with my journal (English language). Although, side by side, we were both praying and singing in different languages and in different ways, we were both praying to the same God. I am grateful for these spiritual insights. I am constantly learning by simple truths the power God has in my life. I am striving to gain a more personal relationship with Christ. I want to know him better than I do now. Lately this thought has completely overtaken all my thoughts and desires. The more I learn about the Old Testament and overall gospel doctrine, the more I realize how much I don’t know. I am trying and that is the important thing.
    I taught the young women today for the third hour. There are four darling, pure girls in the young womens program in this JC ward. If purity could be captured in a face-they all have it. They are young, innocent, humble girls. While teaching, I just felt a love and desire for each of these girls to feel of their worth. They are powerful and their examples of purity and faith will spread to future generations. I am sure Heavenly Father looks down on all of us, fighting and hoping that we too will recognize our power and divine worth. I am happy! The more I learn about the many other faiths here in Jerusalem, the more my testimony of this gospel is confirmed. I have a long way to go but I am grateful for the direction this program continues to give me. These are the thoughts of my heart.

2 comments:

  1. Unbelievable! Soooo cool. I can't imagine the journey you're on.

    If I don't get to you.....Happy Birthday! I'll be thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. CHElS,
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! you are offically no longer a teenager. I was thinking about you today and i just wanted to say how much i love and miss you! it is a weird thought to think how far away you are from us. but i hope you had an amazing birthday. And by the way i wrote you a letter for your birthday but mom couldn't find it, so we will send it and it will just feel like your birthday is going on for a week or two longer:) i love you so much. thanks for being such a great example to me, and everyone around you!
    love hannah

    ReplyDelete