Thursday, February 10, 2011

There is a Green Hill Nearby...

Who said deserts had to be dry? This place is far from what I expected. I predicted brown, brown and maybe yellow if we were lucky. No it is green, lush and beautiful over here. A few days ago while we were wandering around the city visiting the upper room and attempting to attend mass, we traveled over to West J to an artist colony. Honestly I was in heaven. It was gorgeous. Cobbled streets with flowers of all colors hanging over railings and out of windows. Everything but dry and depressing. Winter is the best semester to come I am convinced. We were wandering around laughing, eating, feeding the birds-it was just one of those relaxing days I thoroughly enjoy. This place is beatiful. We then wandered toward the Citadel of David and learned more about the history of Jerusalem. It is gorgeous both the architecture and history. It still boggles my little mind to learn about the history of Israel and actually correlate it with the specific site. 
  To contribute to the beauty of this land we went on a field trip to different tels in Shephelah. We went to Gath (where Goliath) grew up as well as the predicted site of the battle of David and Goliath-so fun! We also ventured to caves and other tels to get a better perspective on the land and the many sites found in the Old Testament (such as Sampson's journey as well as the many locations of the arc of the covenant). I am loving life more and more.
 BLISS
 JOY
 LOVE
 I could barely contain myself. I was so happy to see such a beautiful place. I want to live somewhere like this. I thought beauty like this could only be seen in movies and dreams..oh how I was wrong.
 B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L!

 Jerusalem has the most breathtaking doors. I could (probably should) do an entire album solely on the doors here in the Old City. Every entrance to any building and garden is absolutely exquisite.
 Tel Tsafit National Park
 We hiked to the top of this tel to see an archeological site. Professor Chadwick, who is my ancient near eastern studies teacher, explained how he dates the pottery and random structures found on these sites. If there is anyone more passionate about archeology than Professor Chadwick I would definitely love to meet them because I don't think its possible.
Here is my little gettup when we take field trips: a camelbak, headset, scriptures, and notes. And many times we rock the fanny! Trendy I think so!

Tombs. A litte dusty if you ask me. These girls are my roommates! Victoria, Keri, and Skyler is on my right.

 Emerging from the dusty tombs.
 Bell Caves. This place is beautiful and I am sorry I don't have a better picture. We sang hymns inside this glorious place. The acoustics were amazing!!! LOVE! We sing all the time (understatement) especially when we travel to beautiful places like this.

This is a great picture of a Tel (we have seen many tels since I have been here and have many on the horizon I am sure).
 
It began to rain while we were learning about this Tel. Best moment ever. There was a rainbow (not quite a double) that only contributed to the gloriousness of this experience.
Haha one of the best moments of this field trip was when we went to the site (or near it) where they claim David killed Goliath. It was so fun and quite hysterical. Our class reenacted the story. The biggest boy, Lorence, vs the smallest boy Spencer (celine dion boy). I was part of the Philistine crew. Ya girl! 
  

This is my first attempt at throwing a stone like David. If Goliath were 5 ft smaller and 50 yards away I would definitely have him beat (no accuracy whatsoever). I am so grateful to be learning about these wonderful examples in the Old Testament  like David. He took only five stones with him to kill Goliath. Confidence is something David did not lack. One should not fear if they have the Lord on their side. This is a perfect example of  the principle-whom the Lord calls, he qualifies. Goliath was definitely the underdog because David was always going to win. 

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday to my smallest baby. I love you so.

    ReplyDelete