Sunday, May 12, 2013

Sarah in the City

I have had the privilege of hangin with one of my best cousins, Sarah, for the past few days. She has come to spend the week with me, here in New York City. Let's just say it has been a cozy stay thus far. She is currently laying on my floor on a mattress, squeezed between my desk and my bed -- there is literally no where else to sleep. Despite this uncomfortable room setup, I love waking up and looking down to see her on my floor. Unfortunately, I have work during the week, and therefore this weekend was the first time we actually spent some quality time together.

Here is a recap of our adventures. Please enjoy {though it is impossible to accurately express the fun we've been having}:

On Friday night we attended our very first opera.

Funny story. This woman came into the LDS office looking for a way to contact her friend. She ended up staying an hour or so talking with me about wonderful things to do in the city. By the end of her visit, I had a new friend and two tickets to Friday night's opera at the Met Opera House.

Little did I know what Sarah and I had in store.

The Met>>


Number one--the production was FOUR HOURS LONG. Holy Moly. I had no endurance for such a production to say the least. Good news, it got progressively better as the production went on. Bad news--I was one tired (a little grouchy) girl after the show. 
Ah, I will refrain from stating my honest opinion, for fear of hurting someone's feelings. Let's just say, it was a great cultural experience, but I'll definitely think twice before attending my next opera. 

Our new friend, Judy:





...ask Sarah about it. She will be a little more positive.


Saturday morning, on our way to the subway we saw, oh, you know, Ben Stiller rehearsing a scene for an upcoming film. Welcome to New York City, baby! All I gathered from the scene was a women frantically looking for a stuffed camel, Chips. ????



Then FOOD, lots of food.

Falafel, for you Jeru lovin' people.


Dinner at Junior's:


NEWSIES

We went for Newsies lottery tickets Saturday afternoon. A group of eight students, Sarah and I included, went to put our names in the drawing to win discounted broadway tickets -- talk about the MOST stressful thing ever -- my heart was racing the whole ten minutes they were drawing names. The box office declared they were only drawing 14 names for Saturday's matinee. Chelsey, a girl from my program, was the first name drawn. There's two tickets. Then about the 8th person was my professor, two more tickets. Biting my tongue now, I was preparing myself for the blow. The 12th person, was another one of the BYU students, TWO MORE TICKETS!! Sarah and I were the only two left from the group who hadn't received a ticket. There were only two more names left to call. The 13th person..."Sarah Jackson." I screamed out of utter joy. We were going to see NEWSIES in all its glory.

Our tickets read seat 112 and 114, who was 113?


Seat 113 was occupied by this lovely pillar. Sarah and I were the only seats in that row, and we were separated by this large pillar. We laughed. No matter. The show was too fabulous to care. The dancing was my favorite part. The cast consisted of a group of handsome boys with high energy, jumping, leaping and pirouetting around. I highly recommend this production to anyone with a heart. *Loved

The Guggenheim Museum


Due to the rainy weather all week, we decided to attend a museum. The Guggenheim was the perfect choice due to the discounted admission on Saturday nights.


{Warning: major tourist section, but this was a MUST for Sarah...we laughed about ourselves the whole time. Oh, how I love her}
Times Square




The Disney Store.
Sarah is a Disney girl, to say the least. So naturally, we made our way over to this children's store. Needless to say, we acted like children.


The New Year's Ball in real life...
{it's so much smaller than I thought}


The confetti that drops from the sky on New Year's is in fact these pieces of paper with peoples' dreams and wishes written on them--neat. 


Bring on the candy!!!


And more candy...




Grand Central Station


This is my, "Let's get to Central Park face before my feet fall off." ^^

AHHH Central Park, at last.
A little Central Park never hurt anyone. It was such a beautiful Sabbath day, here in Central Park. Everyone came out of their nooks and crannies to enjoy the sunshine and beautiful weather. It was so crowded, but the great company made for a much better people-watching afternoon. Oh how I love weekends. 




Calling our moms for Mother's Day...


Sarah. 




^^{it was a windy day}vv






Sarah is a photographer--I got embarrassed to have the camera in my face for a shoot. Needless to say, there were several shots of my hands:) 

We both loved taking photos of the city. I am learning from her wisdom in photography. Sarah has at least 1500 photos of beautiful New York scenery. She is a master in the works. 


*I apologize for the length of this post. There is simply too much to see and too little time to post. 

xoxo



No comments:

Post a Comment